Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Son found a blanket next to a slot machine in indian casino

Son found a blanket next to a slot machine in indian casino and after no one came looking for it he took it to the car. He was kicked out of the casino and they asked for his ID. he asked why and the security agent said he was guilty of a felony but no police were called and they said the casino would send out a letter to him. Is he going to be charged with a felony??
It is a theft, however, depending on the value of the blanket it is likely a misdemeanor not a felony and it is punishable by up to 90 days in jail if the value was less than $250. He took something that was not his with intent to permanently deprive, this is the legal definition of theft and they can refer it to the police for filing charges.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My wife was with and the security guard told her she was guilty of a felony for being there as well. I was more wondering about the odds of this going to prosecution when no law enforcement was called and the casino told them both that they are banned until they receive a letter from the casino telling them they can return. I know this would be a guess on your part but my wife is very upset about this whole episode and I just dont know what to tell her.
They could charge her as an accessory to the theft, but unless the blanket was valued at over $500 (which is a felony), it would be a misdemeanor. The casino security submits the video to the DA for charges, they do not need the police to be called. However, if the DA does not decide to charge them with a crime, they can still be banned from the casino.