JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

if i knew that someone told the police a lie that got someone locked up for 8 months and i

if i knew that someone told the police a lie that got someone locked up for 8 months and i never came forward and said anything can i be liable for anything? If the guy that got locked up filed a civil suit against me what defenses could I raise to help me?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

What was your relationship to the matter? What role did you play? Why should you have said something?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i am a friend of the person who lied i didnt participate in anything i was just told about the incident after it occured but i knew it was wrong and i didnt tell anyone and an innocent man went to jail for 8 months. then my friend told the police the truth and the guy was released so i want to know if i could be liable for anything someone told me he could possible file a civil suit against and i just wanted to know what defenses could i use to help me since i didnt actually participate
From the facts you've described, no. You have zero legal liability.

Whoever said that they could successfully sue you does not know the law. There simply is no legal theory for them to pursue.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i think i stated it improperly what defenses could my friend(the one who lied on the guy and got him locked up) use if the guy that got locked up filed a civil suit against her?
I do not know what the alleged lie was and in what context was it made.

I do not know if the guy plead guilty or if the guy was convicted by a judge/jury.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the lie was that she was sexually assaulted by the guy he got locked up she told me about it after he got locked up and she was scared to come forward and tell the truth because it had attracted media coverage eventually she did confess the truth but the guy served 8 months in jail before the judge dismissed the charges and released him but now the guy is talking about filing a civil suit and we wanted to know what defenses we could use if he does file a suit?
How is it that he got locked up?

Who did she tell this to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he got locked up because ruby lied to the police and said she was assaulted by joe which was a lie but the police locked hime up and because he was a homeless man he had pub def he would not enter a plea because he knew he was innocent so he remained locked up until ruby came forward and told the truth they then released him ruby only told me about her lying on the homeless man
I see. She could be sued for abuse of process. If she knowingly made false statements to the police and those statements resulted in someone's incarceration, there is no legal defense.

The person could also be criminally charged with filing a false police report.

I wish very much that I could offer you an answer that was more favorable to your circumstances, but the law seems to be pretty clear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

I hope you understand.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.