How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25866
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Ohio. My son was at a party tonight which was loud

This answer was rated:

I live in Ohio. My son was at a party tonight which was "loud" and the police were called. When I got there to pick him up I was told by the investigating officer that he (my son) had admitted to "drinking". I was also told by the officer that I would recieve in the mail a summons to juvenile court in about 4 to 6 weeks to answer charges of underage drinking or "proabition". My son was released into my custody and we were not given a citation of any kind. I was not present for the interrogation and its not clear if my son was advised of his Miranda Rights. Question: were do I go from here. I need a direction. THANKS!

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

At this point, you need to see if charges are actually filed against your son. Your son should have been issued something if he was going to be charged, so it is at the discretion of the officer, if he is going to follow up as he stated with mailing a summons. If he does, you would want to retain an attorney at that point. The attorney can look over the facts of your case and see if there are any legal defense to raise, to get the admission suppressed. You should contact the attorney tomorrow for a consultation but until he is charged with someone, may want to wait and retaining them

CrimDefense and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you