Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Is the order of protection would effect the divorce case

Customer Question

Is the order of protection would effect the divorce case?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.

Yes. The judge who issues an order of protection for an IDV case already knows what's happening and will enforce the order if it is violated, whether the reason for the violation is a Family Court issue or not. The order is not going to stop you from exercising your legal rights with regard to the divorce. That's not its purpose.

But the order of protection could affect the divorce case if you violate it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry, I was misunderstood. Is the OP would effect the divorce judge with its decisions?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.

Again an ACD is a dismissal. So this present case must not be a very serious matter. While I can't say that it won't affect the judge's decisions, I think that whether or not you violate the order and how you did that would be more important than the fact that there is an order to begin with.