Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

Hi, My brother is back in prison because while on probation

My brother is back in prison because while on probation he hit that back of a car and left the scene. He also did not tell him parole office.

Right now he has a felony for this. So, now he has two felonies on his record. However I hired an attorney for him. It looks like this might be reduced to a misdeamenor (spelling ?).

My question is this? If next thursday it is reduced to a misdemer, his attorney tells me he could be out of prison that day. my brother says he won't be out until aft
He could be out of jail in a day if he did not have the prior felony he was on probation for, but what his attorney is not saying is that the probation violation now requires a hearing in addition to the hearing for the hit and run and it is separate. Thus, once this case is reduced to a misdemeanor, then the court or the parole board looks at the probation violation based on a misdemeanor committed while on probation as opposed to a felony while on probation. The good news is that they will credit him for any time served so far for the probation violation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”