Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

What kind of sentence does breach of trust under $2000 carry

Customer Question

What kind of sentence or punishment does breach of trust under $2000 carry in South Carolina? Can it be removed from my record?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 years ago.

Below please find the statute that states what the punishment is for the charge you asked about. It would be considered a misdemeanor and maximum punishment is contained in subsection (B)(1) of the statute.

As for having the conviction expunged. You can see the rules for expungement of criminal charges and convictions at:
Basically, charges that don't result in convictions can generally be expunged and only some limited convictions can be. For example, where there was pre-trial intervention (which really isn't a conviction anyway) and also those convictions from magistrate's court. You will want to read the guidance though.

SECTION 16-13-230. Breach of trust with fraudulent intent.

(A) A person committing a breach of trust with a fraudulent intention or a person who hires or counsels another person to commit a breach of trust with a fraudulent intention is guilty of larceny.

(B) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a:

(1) misdemeanor triable in magistrates court or municipal court, notwithstanding the provisions of Sections 22-3-540, 22-3-545, 22-3-550, and 14-25-65, if the amount is two thousand dollars or less. Upon conviction, the person must be fined not more than one thousand dollars, or imprisoned not more than thirty days;

(2) felony and, upon conviction, must be fined in the discretion of the court or imprisoned not more than five years if the amount is more than two thousand dollars but less than ten thousand dollars;

(3) felony and, upon conviction, must be fined in the discretion of the court or imprisoned not more than ten years if the amount is ten thousand dollars or more.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have for the value that you have offered for the question. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the TOS by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Please let me know if you experience technical difficulties when attempting to ACCEPT my answer by clicking on the green button. That way I can notify customer service.