Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  over 20 years of legal and professor of law experience
5180018

My girlfriend received a scam letter from Nationwide Insurance

My girlfriend received a scam letter from Nationwide Insurance with the following info: OUR INSURED: Andrew Peck
OUR CLAIM NUMBER: 72 02 20 044468 08142011 01
DATE OF LOSS: 08-14-2011
AMOUNT OF LOSS: $3,947.28

They have determined that my girlfriend is responsible for the damages incurred. Damages are not specified and she has 15 days from the date of the letter (September 6, 2011) to pay in full or else:
1.) A judgement may be reflected on her credit
2.) Her driver's license may be suspended
3.) Her wages may be garnished
4.) A lien may be filed against her real property owned

They must receive payment in full or contacted in the next 15 days or my girlfriend will
face a public record judgement enforced by any means legally available.

Failure to respond will follow a next communication from their attorney.

This is an absolute scam. My girlfriend was with me on 08-14-2011 all day long. I drove
my Ford Ranger to Luke Air Force Base and we ate lunch there. That day we enjoyed a movie at home in the afternoon.

My question is: What is the proper response to this scam?

Thanks a million for answering soon.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

First contact your insurance company to make sure there is no error on the part of your insurance company. Once you have done that, then you do not respond to the letter. Contact your local police and provide them with the letter so they can follow up an investigation to locate and arrest the person behind the scam.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nationwide Insurance is not my girlfriend's insurance. It is Farmers Insurance. She has never used Nationwide. Now what?

Thanks again.

My answer is still correct in that she should contact your insurance company but also contact Nationwide.

You need to consider the fact that this could be more than a scam in that she could be a victim of identify theft.

If you follow the steps I mentioned in my prior post that will offer her the best protection and help in prosecuting the person who is doing this.

Experience: over 20 years of legal and professor of law experience