Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

My son was caught in california with less than 10 pain killers

My son was caught in california with less than 10 pain killers 30 over the counter pain killers in a rented car. When stoped he fessed up about 3 lbs of marijuana, but when they searched they found pills hiden. When arrested he asked for a blood test but was refused. He sweares the pills are not his. He has a statement from the rental company but couldnt get a list of people whe rented the car before. He was offered PROP 36, 3 yrs probation and prop 36 drug classes, he says that is for drug addicts cocain, crack ect, He has a Califorina medical licence. Can he still smoke his medical marajuana for this charge under probation. He is living in Nevada now. Is this a fair deal.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
No, he cannot use the medical marijuana unless his probation specifically allows him to do so. The fact he is getting probation on the pills is a good deal, but if he does not get permission to use the medical marijuana, then it would be a violation of his probation and he will never get the charge dismissed.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”