Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
11182422

hi. I am over 18 and recently shoplifted. I exited the mall

hi. I am over 18 and recently shoplifted. I exited the mall with the item but feel that i will be found via video cam. What will the penalty be for this crime in the state of Georgia if they find me. The item was $18.00 and I have no idea why I did this. Could someone please tell me what will happen if the store presses the issue to locate a necklace thief?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello there:

What was the value of the item allegedly shoplifted?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Did you receive my reply sir?

I did not. I asked the value of the item allegedly shoplifted, and I did not see a response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
18.00.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The item was $18.00. Will the mall use the security cams to find me and prosecute me?
Frankly, for $18 worth of merchandise, I can say with 99.99% certainty that neither the mall nor law enforcement will have the resources or inclination to investigate any further. It was a really stupid thing to do, but what is done is done, so just learn your lesson and don't worry about it.

Hypothetically, if you were approached on this, simply say that you respectfully XXXXX XXXXX discuss the matter without an attorney, and leave it at that. You may want to watch this video as well, but it really is extremely unlikely that you will ever hear about this again. Consider yourself in the clear.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.