Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I got a tiket for driving with a suspended license due to a

Customer Question

I got a tiket for driving with a suspended license due to a missing cort date for showing proof of car insurance wichi I had but not at the time when I was pulled off by the police. I plead not gilty and know I feel like I should plead gilty and pay the fine and be over. What should I do? Can I go back to the cort and change my plead or not? If I can What will bw the best way to get in tuch with an Public Defender? Please Help Me!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

Yes, you can change your plea because you haven't gone to trial yet. I would recommend that you plead no contest to the charges just to keep a guilty plea off of your record.

If you were appointed a public defender, you can contact his/her office and ask to get a new hearing set where you can plea to the charges, pay the fine and be gone.

If you were not appointed a public defender, you can contact the court clerk and ask to be given a new hearing date to enter a plea.

Roger, Lawyer
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My charges are under a criminal taffic so how can I keep the guilty plea off my record?

Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

If you plead no contest, it will have the effect of a guilty plea, but the official records will reflect no contest.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I ask for a new haring date I'm I going to talk to the judge or not.What exactly plead no contest means.I'm sorry but I have trouble to understand what it means, can you please explain that to me?
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

"No contest" is defined as a criminal defendant's plea that, while not admitting guilt, the defendant will not dispute the charge. The plea is preferred over a guilty plea, which can often be used against the defendant in civil or other litigation.

The result is essentially the same in terms of court disposition, but it keeps a guilty plea off of your record.