Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

I own 50 percent of a successful business. My partner is trying

I own 50 percent of a successful business. My partner is trying to force me to turn over to her my shares in the business with no compensation to me. I have an email in which she threatens to "tell" our employees about a criminal conviction in my past if I do not comply. I also have an email in which she tells me to settle by a certain day and time, or she will "take another path" that will be harmful to me and my family. Should I file a criminal complaint against her? The attorney representing me in negotiating compensation for my shares says he thinks the police would simply consider my partner's threats "part of the negotiation." Anyone disagree with him?
Thank you for your question.

It sounds like extortion to me, which is a criminal offense that carries 2 to 5 years in jail in Nebraska. Use your leverage against her - tell her you intend to criminally prosecute her. I don't think that it would be a waste of your time at all. It's your strongest hand.

As always, I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question. Of course, if you really liked what I could help you with, please consider a Bonus, too!

Thanks!