AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

When does the criminal statute of limitations start running

When does the criminal statute of limitations start running on bounced checks in Illinois and how long is that staute?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello!

The criminal statute of limitations begins to run on the date on which the offense occurs.
The state must then take legal action within the statute of limitations if the state wishes to pursue criminal charges.
That said, in some instances, the statute of limitations may be tolled.
For example, a criminal statute of limitations might be tolled when the defendant is out of the state.
In any case, the statute of limitations ceases to apply when an arrest warrant has issued or criminal charges have been filed. Contrary to popular belief, simply evading arrest for a prolonged period will not result in dismissal of charges due to the passage of the statute of limitations.

I know that this probably isn't entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the staute of limitations on bouncing a check in Illinois. I'm refering to the CRIMINAL statute, not the civil.
Have charges been filed?

Under which statute was the crime charged?

The actual charge affects the statute of limitations in many cases.

That said, if charged as a misdemeanor, the statute of limitations is 18 months.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you answer that last question? That's all I need to know.
Sure. Please respond to the questions I asked and your response should permit me to answer the question you asked.

Below I have copied and pasted my previous response, in case you were unable to view it.

Have charges been filed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The check amount is $2600, so if a charge were made it would be as a felony. What would the statute of limitations be then?
If charged as a felony, the statute of limitations would be 3 years from the date of the offense.