AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

i loaned a vehichle to a friend who used it to elude police

Customer Question

i loaned a vehichle to a friend who used it to elude police in a chase. since i am the legal owner will i be held accountable, I E detained, questioned, have people, knocking on my door, etc. this event took place in a differrent countie then were i live. washington state
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello! I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

It's very possible that you may hear about law enforcement regarding the matter.
It would certainly make sense for the state to inform you as to what's going on with your vehicle, question you as to the nature of the loan, etc.
If you are questioned, you'll want to have your attorney present.
Typically, an individual who loans a vehicle to a friend in good faith should not be responsible if the individual uses the vehicle for criminal activity without the owner's consent.
However, you should have your attorney present for any questioning to help ensure that you don't make any statements that could be used against you in court or that could give the appearance of impropriety, as anything you say may be used as evidence if the state determines that there's a sufficient basis to charge you with a crime.

I know that this probably isn't entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information.