Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I was convicted in the past for drug possession and later

Customer Question

I was convicted in the past for drug possession and later sexual assault, served time on both and released 6 years ago. What are my chances for getting my rights back for home protection.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Texas will require you to obtain a pardon from the governor's office with full restoration of rights. The Texas governor approves roughly 30% of pardon applications received. Thus, your chances are not the best and with those types of charges they are severe enough that you are going to have to make a very significant showing of your change in your life and after only 6 years from your release it is not highly likely.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”