Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

District Court for Alaska denied Certificate of Appealability

Customer Question

District Court for Alaska denied Certificate of Appealability following denial of 2255 motion. I filed notice of appeal in DC. Informal briefing package was received from both DC and 9th USCOA. Paid $455 fee. Info from 9th states "A briefing schedule will not be set until the court determines whether a certificate of appealability should issue."

Question: Do I file a brief in support of the petition for certificate of appealability now OR wait for action from the 9th?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Actually, because the District Court denied the certificate, you need to file a memorandum in support of your appeal for the issuance of the certificate explaining your grounds for the appeal and your case law in support of your argument.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The 9th has assigned a number and you advise a memorandum in support should be filed with the clerk of the 9th circuit. Is there a time limit?
Yes, if you do not file a memo in support, they will simply review your application without it based on whatever the District Court used as grounds to deny appeal. The time limit is that you need to file the memo before the court decides the appealability issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Verify the 9th will use the 32 page application for the certificate with 21 page attachment I filed pro se in the district court I think the claims are well argued and documented. I did not cite supporting case law but used case phraseology.
Would a memorandum repeating the arguments be overkill?
It is not overkill if you did not cite case law. This is a big issue the courts take with pro se litigants, they do not follow the proper procedure. You need to at least amend your 21 page attachment citing proper case law and not just using "case phraseology." The court wants the case citations, so if you believe you made your arguments in the 21 page attachment, then you need to review that and insert your case law so it is a proper brief.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome.