JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

HI, I met a traffic accident where the other party is COP.

HI,
I met a traffic accident where the other party is COP. I was going on Rt. 130 South and at one point of intersection a COP car HIT my VAN on right side doors. The COP was taking the LEFT towords the Rt. 130 North. The intersection has the STOP signal. I saw the COP car WITHOUT Emergency lights and SIREN and he was stoped at 'STOP signal'. SO, I moved forward. The intersection has NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS.

After 10 days, I got the report from the Police department, indicating that the COP car has Emergency lights and SIREN ON. I submitted a written request to the Police DEPT indicating the fact but no action has taken place.

Based on the Police report, my insurance company says I am at fault. What is my next best thing, I can do at this time. My car got heavy damage to right side. NO damage to COP car and that was indicated in the COP report too.

Please advice what my next step to tackle this problem.

Thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances.

JB Umphrey :

Have you contacted the records bureau to see if there was an in-car camera video/audio going on at the time? If so, have you ordered a copy of that?

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I have not contacted the records bureau yet

JB Umphrey :

That is one option to consider.

JB Umphrey :

Because if there was an in-car video, that should pick up the sounds of any siren, etc.

Customer:

ok..this is New Jersy

JB Umphrey :

No sounds of any siren on the video, then that proves your position.

JB Umphrey :

Is there anything else that I can assist with?

Customer:

ok..thats nice suggestion.

JB Umphrey :

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

well..my question is if can I go to Layer and file complaint..if I do, what the chances that I can win

JB Umphrey :

A complaint with who?

Customer:

on the report

Customer:

police report..because of the incorrect details

JB Umphrey :

You can file a complaint with the police department's internal affairs office.

JB Umphrey :

And another thing to consider..........see if there are any video cameras at that intersection.

JB Umphrey :

If there are, they may have picked up the accident and should reflect if the car had its lights on.

Customer:

ok

JB Umphrey :

Customer:

thank you so much..

JB Umphrey :

You are most welcome.

Customer:

none at this point..let me try the options you suggested

JB Umphrey :

You can select ACCEPT to close this thread.

Customer:

sure

JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.