Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.

I am not a very good letter writer. Can you help me construct

I am not a very good letter writer. Can you help me construct a letter to the judge for my son (from me and his dad). My son's life spiraled out of control. I had no idea he had a problem. The last six months before the incident he was, drinking and doing drugs. He was on his vacation from an excellent high ranking job and therefore was not in the position to be drug tested at work. He went out with friends drinking and had cocaine. He was going home and went through a red light hitting a small car with the father driving and his two children in car. The little girl died two days later. My son is facing 27 years. This is totally out of character for him. He is 38 years now. He was single at the time.I had no idea he had a problem and blame myself everyday that I was not able to know it and try to do something. He has tremendous remorse. My son and his wife just lost their first baby at premature birth. I think about the girls family everyday of my life and my heart hurts for them. He has tremendous support from many friends and family. This was not the person we knew that night. He would be of much help as a mentor to help others to not make the same mistake. Please help me if you can because like I said ...I was the letter to contain the right information. This had a terrible impact on everyone and our lives will never be the same. Thank you.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation. I can give you some guidance on the letter, but since I don't know the situation, I can really only give a few general pointers. Letter of this sort are best made from the heart and you really don't want it to sound coached or unnatural.

Customer: Thank you for the quick response. If you can be of more help it would be great. I just don't want to say something wrong. How do I ask for mercy and compassion. I know it has to come from the heart but when I sit down to write my mind goes blank. This is not my son who
Customer: Made this horrible decision that night. He has gotten so many letters of support after the accident and also friends, etc. Writing to the judge. What do you need to k ow?
Customer: Can you read above. I wrote in the wrong place
Michael J, Esq. :

Are you still there?

Customer: Yes
Customer: Did you get my last message?
Michael J, Esq. :

Okay great. Yes.

Michael J, Esq. :

Don't worry about saying anything wrong. The Judge wants to hear from the heart what you feel about the situation, how this isn't your son, and he would be a greater benefit to society as a free man rather than in jail.

Michael J, Esq. :

You can start off the letter with the Judges name, the address at the Court, and then RE: and your son's name and the case number

Michael J, Esq. :

Then, "Dear Judge X".

Michael J, Esq. :

And just explain your relationship with your son, what type of person he is, and how this was a huge mistake. You don't want to make excuses for him, however.

Customer: Okay. Any more advise?
Michael J, Esq. :

What he did was wrong and he should be punished, but just give him a chance to be a productive member of society.

Michael J, Esq. :

Explain the support system and family ties he has outside of jail and how you as a family will support him.

Michael J, Esq. :

And explain his remorse about the situation.

Customer: Okay. Should it be a short letter?
Michael J, Esq. :

Yes, I wouldn't say longer than a page.

Michael J, Esq. :

Most importantly the Judge would just need to see your son's humanity. You can explain briefly his interests, what he does to help the community and as a job, how he benefits society.

Michael J, Esq. :

Show him your son is a real person.

Customer: Should I mention that he lost his baby in April. She was alive for 18 hours and he was devestated
Michael J, Esq. :

I don't really see how that would be helpful.

Customer: He has done so much since and turned his life around. We put him in inpatient rehab. He goes to narco and volenteers
Customer: And more. Do I mention that?
Michael J, Esq. :

Yes, all of that

Michael J, Esq. :

Anything to show his humanity and remorse

Customer: Do I use the word "mercy" leniency compassion
Michael J, Esq. :

That's tough. Judge's will often say, he should have thought about mercy before drinking while under the influence. You have to be very careful about making excuses and/or asking the Judge not to punish him too hard.

Michael J, Esq. :

You can say something like, "He throws himself on the mercy of the court and simply asks for the chance to be productive member of society again"

Customer: To ask the judge? What words should I use to ask the judge?
Customer: Okay. I see what you mean.
Customer: I could let him know that he would like to talk to others to keep them from making the same horrible mistake?
Michael J, Esq. :

Yes, you could do that as well.

Customer: Do I explain how he was as a child. Never a problem?
Michael J, Esq. :

No that won't be necessary.

Customer: I was Hopi g you could give me some other sentences to say to the judge but if not I understand. I am very nervous. Never in a million years would I think my son would be in this place. I am scared.
Michael J, Esq. :

Again, you really don't need any technical sentences

Michael J, Esq. :

Speak from the heart and explain the things I mentioned above. At the end say the sentence I mentioned about mercy of the court

Michael J, Esq. :

There is no reason to be nervous, your letter won't make or break anything for the Judge.

Customer: Thank you for your help. Especially telling me what not to say because I didn't have any idea. Didn't know where to start. Can you suggest an opening sentence?
Michael J, Esq. :

"I'm writing to you on behalf of my son, X"

Michael J, Esq. :

Explain who you are and why you are writing

Michael J, Esq. :

and then go into the things we talked about earlier

Customer: Okay. Thank you so very much for the help. I feel more confident now than I did before your help.
Michael J, Esq. :

Great, I hope you are able to get it written.

Michael J, Esq. :

I'm running out for lunch, don't forget to press ACCEPT If I was helpful. Thanks!

Michael J, Esq. :

I wish your son the best!

Customer: Okay. Thanks again. Have a good day.