How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26748
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has a court date for writing a worthless check, this

Customer Question

My son has a court date for writing a worthless check, this is his first offense and he has not been employed for a year or better, what will happen to him when he appears in court? This is in the state of Florida
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.
The State attorney is going to offer him a plea deal to resolve the case and not go to trial. Since he is a first time offender, they could offer him a with hold of adjudication, fines, court costs, restitution and maybe probation. Jail is not likely an option and they are going to want him to pay back and money lost by his victim. He could also inquire if they would allow him to enter a pre-trial diversion program, to get this dismissed, if they offer it in his county. If he wants, he can also go to trial and fight this.
CrimDefense and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does he need an attorney to represent him since he is unemployed he can not afford one nor does he have any assests?
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.
No, he does not need an attorney unless he wants one and can ask if he can be appointed one but if the state is not seeking jail time, it is not likely he would be appointed one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We have heard he did not go to court on day he was to be there, now what will happen to him?


Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.
A warrant would likely be issued for his arrest. He could either turn himself in and post the bond, if there is one or retain an attorney and have them file a motion to lift the warrant. If not, then the next time he is stopped by the police, he would be taken into custody. Thank you. Please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer.

Related Criminal Law Questions