Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I have a pretrial today can I submit witness statements as

Customer Question

I have a pretrial today can I submit witness statements as evidence?? It is a criminal misdeameanor dc/with a domestic abuse surcharge..I do not have a lawyer I did not touch or hit anybody a table was broken, cops were called i was not home
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Witness statements are not really evidence without the witnesses themselves showing up to testify. Without the testimony of the witnesses the statements are merely hearsay and inadmissible in court. You really should consider hiring an attorney to represent you on this because if you make any mistakes here it will cause you to have a permanent criminal record.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”