Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

I was hit in a restaurant by the owner s brother who was intoxicated.

I was hit in a restaurant by the owner s brother who was intoxicated. I already did the police report and went to the state attorney. The guy got the letter but wants me to remove the charges for money compensation. What should I do? continue with the case or get $$ and remove the charges. Lost a week of work, ended in ER with a head cut. What s your advise?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 2 years ago.
Hello! I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

Please understand that we cannot provide legal advice or legal services in this forum. To do so would be unethical and irresponsible. Further, JustAnswer's Terms of Service prohibit me from providing and you from requesting legal advice or legal services here. I hope you understand!

Offering an individual money in exchange for refusing to cooperate with the state in a criminal investigation or proceeding can potentially constitute a crime as well, as it could amount to witness tampering.

In any case, if an individual is injured by another's malicious actions, he/she can sue the party who injured him/her to recover the value of the damages.
Therefore, an individual doesn't typically need to feel compelled to accept money offered unless the terms are reasonable and fair (or better), as the individual may sue to recover the value he/she is owed if the party does not willingly pay.
Accordingly, you should have your attorney evaluate the details to help you determine what you're entitled to and to help you negotiate for that.
Regardless, a person doesn't have to refuse to cooperate with a criminal proceeding to recover financially and an individual could sue to recover monetarily instead.

Further, it's also worth pointing out that, one the matter reaches the state, a victim doesn't get to decide to drop charges. Only the prosecutor can do that, though the prosecutor may consider the preferences of the victim when making such a decision.

I know that this probably isn't entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information.
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience: Attorney
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your answer, I wasn't aware of a few things that you just mentioned. I ll continue with the case and Justice will decide what is fair.
I'm glad that I could provide some valuable information!

In any case, I'd highly recommend that you engage your attorney sooner rather than later to help you with any financial recovery you may wish to pursue.

Thank you for clicking accept! Good luck!