MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

I recently visited some illegal porn sites out of curiosity

Customer Question

I recently visited some illegal porn sites out of curiosity and soon became caught up in the game of actually finding some that that offered some content. It became a challenge to see if there were any that would do more than promise to deliver. I found through a thorough search that it was nearly impossible to actually access these sites. But I persisted to search any way because it had become a challenge at this point. I am not a pedofile and have no interest in children as sexual objects. It was simply a case of the chase, if you will, having gotten out of hand. I felt increasing guilt about what I was engaged in and it came to a head last night when I came upon a download site that offered the sort of thing promised. I stopped short of actually purchasing and downloading the material though. I could not go that final step,even though my curiosity was piqued to see if it was real. If, like all the other hype I encountered during my misguided search, it would be nothing more than an empty promise, I would not have been surprised. I had located what seemed like the answer to my search but I chose not download it. Today I received an e-mail from Russian Police officer who claimed to have records of my purchasing this material. He said if I wired him the amount of $5000 by August 2, he would contact the local authorities about me as a pedofile. He has my complete history (addresses, relatives, credit card numbers, etc,)
he would destroy all evidence of my ill-fated search. He said I would go to jail, my friends, associates, neighbors, relatives would see me branded as a pedofile. Is this blackmail common? Is he really a member of the Russian police? Can they do this? As stated, I did not purchase any of the materials or download anything to my computer. Is this something which has any real consequences? I am not a pedofile. I simply was curious to see just how far one had to go to obtain this stuff. Is it illegal to search but not to actually download it.
Expert:  MShore replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. No, this form of blackmail is not common and is likely the work of a hacker, not a police officer. You would be best served to ignore future communications from the "officer." An officer would not solicit a bribe so openly, please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
MShore, Attorney
Experience: Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for confirming what I suspected. A hacker at work. It seemed too obvious that a police officer in Russia would be engaged in such investigations without probable cause. This leads to my followup question: what are the current statutes regarding the looking at such material without actually acquiring it through either download or mail order. Not that I would engage in this questionable behavior again. It is way too risky to play with these things. Just a case of too much time on my hands and an overactive curiosity. Do you think a hacker would go to the local authorities any way if I do not pay his blackmail?
Expert:  MShore replied 2 years ago.
No,I do not think a hacker would actually go to the police with this information. Here is a website with the relevant information you seek: http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PageServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=1476