Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Need sentencing letter to judge for federal drug conspiracy.

Need sentencing letter example to a judge on a family member for federal drug conspiracy.

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Before I answer, can you please tell me if this is something that you have decided to do yourself, or something that the defense attorney has asked you to do? Also, did your relative participate in any community activities and/or volunteer his time before this matter came up?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The defense attorney asked for this. No, my son had a user problem for about 3 years before this conspiricy charge was handed down. He was a hard worker since he was a teen-I had a rough divorce and as a teen he took a job to help us make ends meet even. He just fell into the wrong crowd. He had been clean for almost a year before the feds arrested him last year on a 2009 charge. He had taken back his life, was working 2 jobs again and got his own place again. The attorney asked for pictures too of my son, can they be inserted in the letter I type up or do they need to be seperate etc. I need to do this right, he is looking at minimum 10 years up to life :( He did have a contempt of court charge when he was 18 (btw) which complicates matters. He did a 3rd party for someone that violated the 3rd party and my son was charged. So...according to that he may face minimum 13 years
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. Sample letter is included:

To The Honorable Court,

I have known (name of defendant) since (date). During that time, I have always known (name) to be a kind, giving and loving person. He has a strong family-oriented background, has always tried to do the right thing. How he ever got into this situation is incomprehensible to me, as this is not the person I know. The Court will only view him based on his actions here. But I ask the Court to consider his life, too. (Here, say what he has done that has earned merit - volunteer, family oriented, aspirations, etc.). It is true that a crime has been committed and and the guilty party must own up to the consequences. I do not dispute this. But I ask - on behalf of myself and others - to consider _____ not only for the action before the Court, but for all his actions in his life that warrant merit, as well.

Thank you for your consideration.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is more based on someone that isn't a family member....This is my son I am writing for. Could you be more specific? You didn't answer my question on inserting photos directly to the letter since his attorney asked for pictures. Do they need to be prints or Can I insert them into the letter as part of the letter??

Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

My apologies,

The format is essentially the same, although you would switch up the words a little.

To The Honorable Court,

I am the Defendant's mother. All this time, I have always known (name) to be a kind, giving and loving person. He has a strong family-oriented background, has always tried to do the right thing. How he ever got into this situation is incomprehensible to me, as this is not the person I know. The Court will only view him based on his actions here. But I ask the Court to consider his life, too. (Here, say what he has done that has earned merit - volunteer, family oriented, aspirations, etc.). It is true that a crime has been committed and and the guilty party must own up to the consequences. I do not dispute this. But I ask, on behalf of myself and others, to consider _____ not only for the action before the Court, but for all his actions in his life that warrant merit, as well.

Thank you for your consideration.

There is really no specific template - you may and should change this up as you see fit. The photos should be attached to the letter. Hope this helps.