Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

At an evidentiary hearing if a trial lawyer admits to being

At an evidentiary hearing if a trial lawyer admits to being ineffective in any way is that grounds for a reversal?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Not necessarily. There has to be more than that. The attorney must actually be ineffective, and the court must determine by clear and convincing evidence that the if the attorney would have been effective that the result of the trial would have been different.

Without knowing more about the case, I really cannot tell you whether or not the way the attorney believes he was ineffective would have changed the result of the case.

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question. Of course, if you really liked what I could help you with, please consider a Bonus, too!

Nathan Moore