JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

Is it easy to get an inmate transferred to a different prison

Is it easy to get an inmate transferred to a different prison in the same state? My friend is in a max prison in NV & has low enough points for a med facility. I run his art website & while he is in the max prison we are not able to keep the site up & running because he can not get art supplies @ the max prison. He is very good & has his own website. Will the prison even care that he can not sell his art/make $ till he is in a medium prison? He has restitution he needs to pay & can not even start to pay it till he can bring in some $ again. He belongs to Ely State Prison in NV but is @ High Desert State Prison in NV for court dates. We would like to get him transferred to Northern Nevada Prison & he could get to his court dates from the new prison. Is this something that a paid lawyer could get done for me or just something we need to try to pressure them about? He also has family that is sick & can not make the long 4hr drive in the middle of nowhere to see him. The Ely prison location makes it hard for anyone to visit but 2 people for medical issues. I would hire a lawyer if they could get it done.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

To answer your question, no, the prison will not care at all.

JB Umphrey :

This is not a matter that an attorney can request/get court approval on.

JB Umphrey :

Any transfer to a different facility will solely come from working on the inside.

JB Umphrey :

And, again, family convenience / his person business are consideration which prison officials simply do not care about or take into account.

JB Umphrey :

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

Then they will never get the $15,000+ in restitution. Also he has 2 family members who can not for medical reasons make the long 4hr drive in the middle of no place to visit him. His mother & a sister. Even if they get medical letters? I did think that the prison likely would not care about any of this but figured possibly a lawyer could get it done.

JB Umphrey :

Unfortunately, lawyers do not have magic wands either :)

JB Umphrey :

The prison is solely concerned with managing the population as safely as possible. That's its core function.

JB Umphrey :

He can make requests for transfer; however, there is no legal leverage that can be used to force it.

Customer:

That was my thought as well. They are doing a job & could care less for the people they get paid to watch lol Darn no magic wand ;) Thanks!

JB Umphrey :

You are most welcome. If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.