How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10685
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question... Colorado state penal law for the Age of Consent

This answer was rated:

My question...

Colorado state penal law for the Age of Consent says the age of consent is 17 years old. Those who are under the age of 17 but are fifteen or sixteen may consent with somebody who is up to ten years older than them.

I recently moved from New Jersey to Colorado to be with a girl. I am twenty one, she turns sixteen this september, and while it looks like I could be clear to date, and pursue a committed relationship with her, her parents, mainly her Mother, know about me. They grounded her before I moved here, and recently let her out. She went and saw me and we had somewhat of a good day. Then her mom looked at her texts, saw my number, and grounded her again. We've known each other on the internet for a good four months. I have no desire to do anything against her wishes, and I want to be with this person.

I want to apologize to the family, make peace with them, and ask permission to have the privilege of asking their daughter out. I told her before I wanted to ask, and she told me her mom would try and have me arrested for pedophilia. Her mom thinks I'm a stalker, and a pedophile, and I'm not. All I'm doing is making them mad, and I'm losing sleep over this now. I'm going back into anxiety.

Is it worth confronting her mother, and trying to get on her good graces? Am I in the clear for this, I am waiting for her to be legal. I already announced to her I will wait for her, but I don't know what to do if her mother clearly doesn't want me around.

Is this legal for me in Colorado, should I ask her mother for forgiveness, a chance to prove myself, and to make peace?

Thank you for your question and welcome to


Legally, you are in the clear. According to Colorado statute §18-3-402 if the person is at least 15 years old but less than 17 years old and the actor is less than 10 years older, no crime has been committed.


As far as getting into the good graces of her parents, that is something you're going to have to work on diligently. I think you would do well to approach her mother as you described near the end of your question. You can be with her legally, but the other considerations, as in her parents' approval, are going to take more work.


I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question. Of course, if you really liked what I could help you with, please consider a Bonus, too!



Nathan Moore

Nate and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you