Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I was charged with a dui last night, first offense I blew a .1, should I hire a lawyer I

I was charged with a dui last night, first offense I blew a .1, should I hire a lawyer? I had maybe 4-5 glasses of wine, hadn't had anything to eat since 2pm and it was 10pm when I went through a road check. I know I shouldn't have been driving, even if it had been 1 glass. I know that I'm guilty, but I'm also a paramedic so, that makes it even worse. I want to do whatever possible to get the lowest plenty out there, I don't need this on my record
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

You should definitely hire an attorney if you want to try to beat this charge. There are so many ways to challenge the DUI - you can challenge the test, whether it was done correctly, etc.

In Virginia, a DUI is a Class 1 misdemeanor. The maximum punishment for a first offense is a $2,500 fine, one year in jail, and the loss of one's driving privileges for one year. Generally, first-time offenders with blood alcohol levels below 0.12, who did not cause an accident, will not go to jail. Instead, the Judge will usually suspend all of the jail time he orders. The usual fine for a DUI is $300. Additionally, all persons convicted of DUI are, by law, required to lose their driving privileges for one year