Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

i was involved in shop lifting yesterday for an item of $40

Customer Question

i was involved in shop lifting yesterday for an item of $40 a police was called who came and took me to the office and issued me a citation and said i should be expecting a court date in the mail. i live in MD and i want this matter resolve without going into the court an 36 years old
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately, it's entirely up to the store whether to press charges and, once they do, up to the DA whether to go ahead with the case. There's no way to avoid going to court at this point. It isn't like a traffic ticket where you can just pay a fine in advance. With that said, Maryland will allow you to enter a pre-trial diversion program in many cases, if this is your first offense. What that means is that, if you're willing to plead guilty, you'll serve a term of probation. If you do everything you're supposed to do during that time period, the DA will dismiss the charges at the end.

When you go to the court date, if you cannot afford a lawyer, the judge will appoint one for you at no cost. The lawyer will review the evidence against you and try to work out the best possible deal. He'll also be able to advise you of the likelihood of winning at trial.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

for Lucy

if the store fail to press charges will the court still presecute me

If they already called the police, and the police gave you a ticket, that means they did press charges. At that point, it's out of their hands. Even if they decide they don't want to pursue it, the DA can subpoena them to testify. Once the initial decision is made to notify police, it's no longer up to the store to decide what to do with the case.