Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  14 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

Like a complete IDIOT, while I was shopping today, I temporarily

Like a complete IDIOT, while I was shopping today, I temporarily lost my mind and placed a few cosmetic items into another pre boxed set. I was just sick about it, but it was done, and I didn't want to take them out and be even more conspicuous. Upon checkout, the clerk opened the box, shook out the extra items, I paid, and was on my way. Relieved I didn't actually get out of the store with the items, but heartsick I did it go begin with.
A couple hours later, an employee I know at that store said that loss prevention called and tipped the clerk off.
I am 41, own 2 businesses, have not even had a ticket since my teens. Now I am scared to death. This was such a spur of the moment insanity, I am so scared. What can happen to me? I live in Alabama.
PLEASE help me.....I am having a nervous breakdown over all the what-ifs and regret :(
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
.
Were you contacted by anyone from the store about the incident?
.
.
thanks

.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes, depending on the level of complexity. But rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not officially. The pathetic truth of the matter is, my 20 year old daughter works there :(. Another employee told her about the loss prevention call, and that it was on video. She called me, and all I could do was feign a bad cell connection, because I just didn't know what to say.
This happened approx. 4 hours ago.
I am a huge, known shopper there, and money was not the motivation, I just don't know why I did it, I am just sick about it.
Christina
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also, my best guesstimate is the items may have totaled a
Ittle over $100 :(
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Ok, if no law enforcement was called and you haven't had any contact from the store, then it is possible that they will just let it go. If they were going to involve law enforcement they would likely have done so immediately.
.
However, under Alamama law, the merchant can send you a civil demand letter requesting some amount to settle the matter civilly without filing any criminal charges. Typically the amount is the value of the items and between $200-$350 as a penalty and if it is not paid, they can file suit in civil court for the amount and any legal costs.
.
If you do get a civil demand letter, it should be within the next week or so. In the event that you do receive one, I would suggest that you pay it to resolve the matter so it doesn't go any further.
.
So the long and short of it is that there is nothing to do at this point but wait to see if the store takes any further action.
.
Everyone has lapses in judgment from time to time, so don't beat yourself up about it and just keep your fingers crossed that they will let it go without further action.
.
.
thanks

.

.

.

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience: 14 years practicing criminal defense.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for answering me Barrister. You are a wonderful person to do this for people. Maybe I can start breathing again :)
Please have a safe 4th of July holiday weekend!
Christina
A very grateful, satisfied customer
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome.
.
The best to you and yours.
.
.
thanks