Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

does it matter that one DUI/DWI occured in NC and not Md.

does it matter that one DUI/DWI occured in NC and not Md. I want this person to serve some time considering she lives with my ex-husband and we have a daughter together. I don't want her with or around my daughter
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
No it does not matter, the state of MD will recognize the out of state DUI and can still charge it as a third offense in MD. Although, her attorney will try to negotiate for the new DUI to be charged as a second offense and sometimes the prosecutor will agree as part of a plea bargain, but you can contact the DA and inform them of her history and ask them to consider not making such a deal and you would do so by sending it in writing to the DA's office and also calling the DA and speaking to the DA handling the case, but it is ultimately their discretion.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”