Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

I was charged with dwlr in MI and failing to yield Which caused

I was charged with dwlr in MI and failing to yield
Which caused an accident
The other driver left the seen
I lost my license in 2003 for 2nd driving while intocited
Other than that my record is clear until last fridays

Accident
Will I get jail or prison time
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon! I'm sorry to hear about the accident and charges!

Please let me know what statute you were charged under.
It will appear as a series of numbers on the ticket you received.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would that be the six didget ticket number
Or incident number
It wouldn't be the machine-printed ticket number.
It would be hand-written by the officer on the ticket, likely next to the name of the offense. MCL or § may appear in front of it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No numbers by the mcl site/pacc code/ ordnance
I'm sorry I don't understand what I'm looking for
Okay. Thanks. I'll see what I can find out using the information you've provided.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The officer also checked the boxes for
Traffic crash vehicle impound injury and damage to
Property
Failing to yield is a civil citation that can result in a fine and points.
The bigger issue is the DWLR.
For a first offense of the DWLR statute, as long as no one is injured severely, it's a misdemeanor carrying up to 93 days in jail and a fine of up to $500.
The suspension or revocation period can also be extended as a result of a conviction.
You can read the statute here:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2850ig1cbpimfgeo55wgvyekao%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-257-904
You're going to want to retain an attorney to represent you. There may be defenses to the charges or possibly a less offense to which a plea might be negotiated. Your attorney can also assist you with the matter of the traffic ticket.

It's worth noting that any plea or finding of guilty may also affect you in a civil matter, so you really need to retain an attorney to handle that issue for you and to assist you with any statements you might make.

I know that this probably isn't entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On my ticket the officer checked ci for dwlr
And fel for failed to yield
Did the officer make a mistake
There's really no reasonable way for me to evaluate or analyze the markings on the ticket here.
While I can provide the statutes and the penalties for specific charges (failure to yield carries 4 points and a fine, by the way), there's no way I can analyze the accuracy of the ticket itself in this forum.
That said, even when an officer makes an error on a ticket, the court will typically grant an officer leave to amend a ticket upon his request. Simple mistakes, contrary to common belief, do not often defeat a ticket.

You should immediately take the matter to your criminal defense/traffic attorney so that he/she can represent you in the matter. Present him/her with the ticket as well, as he/she will be able to glean a lot from that document.
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience: Attorney