Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

What if I paid him back and he threatened to call the police

What if I paid him back and he threatened to call the police if I did not give him 200,000
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

You're between a rock and a hard place. What he's doing is trying to blackmail you (which was what I was talking about when I said that you threatening him was a crime). And you can report it to the police, as it's a criminal activity. The problem is that in order to do that you would have to tell the police why he thinks you ought to pay him, and that would mean confessing to a crime.

So you can do one of two things: 1) you can call his bluff and refuse to give him a dime. As you voluntarily already paid back what you owed him, if the police arrested you (and if you were smart enough not to talk to anyone at all about what you may have done -- except for your lawyer) you might be able to fight the case successfully. On a theft offense if you have no prior contact with the criminal justice system, you would usually be allowed to remain at liberty while you fought the case. And if you did go to trial, your lawyer could bring out his own lack of honesty if he took the stand. 2) You can report him to the police, though you would want to have consulted with a local lawyer who can hear the whole thing and advise you of the safest way to report the incident.