Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
17897874

will a ticket for soliciting prostituion affect my employment

will a ticket for soliciting prostituion affect my employment if this was over 5 years ago.

Since then I have got elected President of my University's student government, got hired in a corporate position two years before graduating college, and furthermore graduated with honors with two degrees recently.

This charge was something I received while in the Navy and was very petty of me and ofcourse I deeply regretted what I have done. SInce then I have also married and I am the father of two beautiful children.

Will this hurt my employment going forward? I was in high demand receiving the job I have now, but want to further my career and want to know will this have an everlasting affect on my life going forward and is there something I can do. i.e pardon or some sort...
It is an internal matter based upon you contract and university policy. In and of itself, it does not legally preclude your employment. The danger is if you fail to disclose it when asked and it comes up in a background then it looks like you are lying and companies often take a more serious view of the lying than of the underlying criminal matter. If asked, therefore, you must disclose it with an explanation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

(Just to be clear... Is there something I can do going forward I.e. pardon or anything that can get me relieved from something that happened so long ago.)

I recently received a conditional offer letter from a big fortune 50 company. I am a little anxious over awaiting the results from my background check (LEXUS/Nexus).

Over 5 years ago I got a ticket for soliciting prostitution. Although I believe this may have been an entrapment case I was found guilty and had to pay a fine. Brief details: Just got back from deployment with the Navy, bought a new Truck. While sitting at the traffic light in broad daylight on a main street, an undercover officer flagged me down. She was attractive and while talking she mentioned that she needed help and would do whatever for money, being young I took her up on the offer and proceeded to follow her in my car. Never getting out the car, things did not seem right. I immediately wanted to drive away and a swarm of officers came out from all directions and surrounded my car. I never gave her any money, never got out of my vehicle and learned a huge lesson. This charge was something I received while in the Navy and was very petty of me and of course I deeply regret what I done.

Since then I have gotten elected President of my University's student government, got hired in a corporate position a year before graduating college, and furthermore, graduated with honors with two degrees recently from college. I was in high demand, while receiving the job I have now, but want to further my career and want to know will this have an everlasting affect on my life going forward and is there something I can do. i.e pardon or some sort... something to ease the burden of this past.

I want to know will this affect me forever while making career decisions?

Thank you,

Even with a pardon, for your purposes, it will still show on a background check, with the fact that there was a pardon or expungement issued. I would not raise the issue unless you are asked. However, if asked, even with an expungement or pardon, you should still make a full disclosure. It is not likely that the incident will have an effect on your offer of employment as it is not related to dishonesty or drugs which typically trigger real alarms and red flags. This incident can be chalked up to youthful stupidity and is easily explained.

The following link has all the information regarding obtaining an expungement: http://lsnv.org/Information_Expungement.pdf
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you SIr,

I wish I have known about this site a week ago! WIll tell all of my friends... I wonder if it has issued an IPO :)

Have a great fourth of July!