Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My friend has been in jail the past 43 days without bail or

My friend has been in jail the past 43 days without bail or bond because 5 years ago a girl, who was then 17 years old, accused him of rape. His attorney informed him that if the young lady withdraws her statement he will walk away free, no charges will be brought and he will not have a record. However, the attorney has suggested that my friend offer a settlement to the young lady in an effort to get her to withdraw her statement. Is this legal? Can my friend get into deeper trouble if he does this?
It is legal for his attorney to offer the settlement and it is up to the attorney to do it if your friend agrees. There is nothing prohibiting his attorney for contacting the girl offering a settlement and a non-disclosure (confidentiality) agreement regarding the settlement.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok. Thank you for the previous answer.

Prior to suggesting the settlement his attorney filed some motions to get everything thrown out about a month or so ago. With the understanding that the judicial system is slow, about how long will it take for these motions to get before a judge? In addition, that same attorney has since dropped his case because he can no longer afford to pay him, will this effect the motions in any way?

Generally motions are set before the court within 30-60 days depending on how busy their calendar is. The motion still go on, but he has no attorney and you need to get him one to continue to assist him to pursue the motions to dismiss.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a such thing as a "motion hold"?
A motion hold just means if the motion pertains to his release then they choose to wait for the motion before releasing him.