How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37394
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 21 and had a severe drug issue for several years.

Resolved Question:

My son is 21 and had a severe drug issue for several years. He has was also diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, which taking drugs puts a person into a manic state and causes them to have not knowledge of acts they do. I have begged for "kaiser" which is our carrier to please put him in a facility to help him or he will either hurt himself or someone else. My son was arrested last week for trying to steal a car. In is on suicide watch in jail and is facing prison time. We dont know if a public defender can defend him in a way to make lock down rehab possible or if we need to go with an attorney we hire. We are not looking to bail him out or have him not take responsibility for what he has done. But sitting in a jail doesnt fix the issue. Does courts force time served in a lock down drug/mental facility or just jail? should we hire an attorney or use a Public defender
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your son's dilemma.

Any time spent under the custody of the state awaiting trial or in a treatment center post-conviction will be treated as time served toward the sentence.

Unless you son has significant prior criminal history, it is likely that he will not go to prison for attempted car theft. Perhaps a short jail term and probation.

Your son's situation is quite complicated and a public defender---though quite competant---simply does not have the time necessary to give your son's case the time necessary to do the absolute best job.

You are better off with a private defense attorney in this situation.

I wish you and your family the best in 2011.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,


LawTalk and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you