Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

Hi! I called a sales rep at a car dealer that I had previously

Hi! I called a sales rep at a car dealer that I had previously purchased a car with on May 5, and asked if there was any way he could put me in a 2012 Honda Civic EX in order to cut down on my fuel costs on my Ford Edge that I had previously purchased from him. I told him I was upside down on the Edge and didn't know if it was possible. He said he could and that evening I signed a lease deal for the Civic. During the transaction, he indicated that I had to write a check for the difference between the Edge I was trading and the new car for a formality to complete the transaction, but that the check ($5,489) would not be deposited and I would receive a call and would be able to make a payment plan to pay that amount. He also indicated that if I wanted to, once I got the car I didn't have to pay it if I didn't want to. I told him I just needed payment plan. The check was deposited three times within the past 3 weeks with no call to discuss payment schedules. I was threatened with being prosecuted for check fraud (felonly) because the amount was over $1,000. I have been harrassed at home and work and called the dealer that I was lied to in order to complete the transaction which is, I believe fraud. I want them to take their car back and get me out of the lease. They will not. They have offered to accept the car back as a trade in, but I would still have to deal with them. They also said they would make a payment plan with me and get the collector off my back. I don't trust them and want nothing to do with them or this car -- it's just a stupid car!!! Lots of drama has ensued, and I just want them to take their car back (2 months old on July 5) and clear me of the lease. Am I right?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Samuel-II :

Hi

Customer:

Hi thanks!

Samuel-II :

I am sorry you are experiencing this situation. If you feel that you have been a victim of consumer fraud, the best thing to do is file a complaint against them via the NJ Attorney General Office. That office cannot represent you or offer you legal advice but it will investigate this matter for deception and fraud. If they find there is fraud, then they will assist in ordering mediation to get a resolution to your benefit

Samuel-II :

I am getting you the contact information for the Attorney General

Customer:

thanks!

Samuel-II :

You can file the Complaint here

Customer:

Thank you -- do you know who audits businesses in NJ? or if such an agency exists to see if their business practices are above board?

Samuel-II :

That would be the Attorney General Office

Samuel-II :

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck

Customer:

Okay- I will try that. thanks!

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.