Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have a business and my son (25years) stole my checks forged

I have a business and my son (25years) stole my checks forged my name and cashed several check over a 3 week period totaling $3500.00. he has a drug problem and is in rehab now but the bank says i need to press charges with the police to get them to pay me back. i want the money back but dont want to send my son to prison. what would be the punishment for my son and can i get the money back without pressing charges. What are my options? The bank had a alert on my account becouse he tried this a year ago and they cought him this boggles me that they cash so many check in such a short time with the alert. If I press charges what would happen to him?Thank you Ken
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

You can informally work something out with your son to repay the money to prevent him from being charged with a crime and going to jail.

Forgery can carry up to 4 1/2 years per charge, so it could get serious as each check can be considered a separate charge.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So If I press charges it would be very serious. If I go back to the bank they would press charges and it would be the same out come? the only way is for me to work it out with him and not do anything unless I want him to have a felony and go to jail, Does this sound about right?

Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.
Yes, this could get serious for him. If you can handle this informally with your son, it will keep him out of trouble.