Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney

I had a lapse of concsiousness in October while on probabtion

I had a lapse of concsiousness in October while on probabtion for a DUI. I finished serving the DUI requirements, completed the DMV physical for lthe loss of consciousness, and just receicved a letter notifying me that I am charged with a 14601.2A for the incidents back in October. I just got my license back and thought all of this was behind me. Can I be charged with a 14601.2(A) for a lapse of consciousness?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello there:

California Vehicle Code 14601.2(a) is a misdemeanor charge for driving on a DUI suspended license. It has nothing to do with any lapse in consciousness. It sounds like there is some confusion on the other end; when you to get to your first court date, you will be afforded a public defender if you cannot afford private counsel; that person will examine the evidence and see why you have been charged with this particular crime. Just plead "not guilty" at the arraignment first.

I hope that this helps you to understand the law in your situation. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.