Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

I live in New Mexico, and while visiting in another county

I live in New Mexico, and while visiting in another county 200 miles away a car pinned me in her parking spot at an apartment complex. She came out and moved after I apologised. When I got home I saw a tiny spot of paint (no dent) that I must have got when I tried to get out of the space, from her bumper (a 4wd truck) Have I committed a crime by leaving?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

N.M. Rev. Stat, Section 66-7-202 does require that a person who is in an accident resulting in damage to a vehicle (without personal injury) to stop and provide his name, address, and registration number. He must also show his license upon request. Failure to comply with the statute is a misdemeanor.

With that said, you also don't have any way of actually knowing whether you caused damage to her vehicle - it is possible that the paint transfer is so small as to be unnoticeable on her vehicle. It's also extraordinarily unlikely that anything would ever come up this. The police probably wouldn't bother to investigate, even if she noticed and reported it now.

Also, if she wasn't in the car when it happened (and it sounds like she wasn't), then, more likely, it would be a violation of Section 66-7-204, which is an infraction. That means it's even less likely that anything would happen at this point.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No one was in the car, or anywhere in the parking lot. I tried to manuever out, but I could not, and I drive a nice Volvo. Not wanting to damage it in any way, I gave up and decided to knock on doors, since there were only 6 or 8 apartments. That is when she came out to leave and I apologized. What is the infraction you spoke of, and does it matter that it was on private property?
Ok, that would be an infraction. It's like a speeding ticket. It's probably not something you should be worried about. Even if she reports it, there's no way for them to track you down, they probably wouldn't bother even if they could, you didn't know you hit her car, and, again, you don't even know if there's damage to her vehicle.