CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

Hi sir, I am told for a probation transfer i need to have my

Hi sir, I am told for a probation transfer i need to have my family in the transferred state.

My PO said she needs the name, address, phone number and the relationship of your closest family member in WI.

I cannot start this process until I have all of that information.

What are my options now - I have requested one of my brother to stay with me and he has agreed, he would stay with me for a month and then leave so my transfer can happen - can i disclose about this to PO?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.

Probation is going to want you to reside with a resident of the State. They do not want you moving there with a family member and then have them leave. You never want to lie to probation or try and bend the rules to get what you want because when the probation office of the state you move to finds out about this, there may be a problem and possible violation. Normally, probation and the court want to see a valid basis for you to move and transfer your probation. Having a new job and a place to live, could be a valid basis.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sir I got new job in WI and i have my fmaily living in Chicago, so can I request my PO to transfer my probation to IL and then allow me to work in WI - its like 60 miles from chicago but falls in WI
Yes, you could do that but you would need to make sure they are aware of it in both IL and the State you are in now. If you are traveling outside the state for work each day and it is in close proximity to where you are living, they should not have a problem with it, as long as you are gainfully employed and they are aware of what is going on.
Have you mentioned this to your current probation officer?