ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

my 19 yr old son got caught shoplifting some earrings. He was

my 19 yr old son got caught shoplifting some earrings. He was charged and a court date was set. He didnt get the mail at his new apt and missed the hearing. a warrant is issued. He makes about $8 per hour and needs an attorney. What to do

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Is he still free (not having given himself up / been arrested yet)?

Customer:

yes he's still free

ScottyMacEsq :

Does he have any assets? That is, a home, car, etc...? I know you mentioned his apartment, but I need to know what assets he has to his name.

Customer:

He has none

ScottyMacEsq :

Does he support anyone? That is, is there anyone living with him at his apartment?

Customer:

no not at the moment

ScottyMacEsq :

Has he been deemed eligible or otherwise receive federal supplemental security income (SSI), medicaid, aid to families with dependent children (AFDC), general assistance, food stamps, refugee settlement benefits, poverty-related veterans’ benefits, or other similar poverty-based governmental financial assistance?

Customer:

No he works parttime and goes to college fulltime

ScottyMacEsq :

How many hours a week does he work?

Customer:

He just started the job but he works about 20 something hours a week

Customer:

$6+ per hour

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you. Essentially he will need to turn himself in. Unless he can pay for an attorney, there's nothing that he can really do "from the outside". But once he turns himself in, he can ask the court for a court appointed attorney, based upon his indigency. The court has standards to handle what constitutes indigency, but it's primarily based upon income and assets. Since he has really neither, he should be a good candidate for a court appointed attorney. But again, he's going to have to be on the "inside" to be able to request this in the first place.

ScottyMacEsq :

Also, giving himself up (rather than getting caught while speeding, etc...) would look better for him to get released on bail, etc... because he can show that he took action as soon as he could

ScottyMacEsq :

(rather than only taking action when caught)

Customer:

Ok that makes sense

ScottyMacEsq :

When he does turn himself in, he needs to speak immediately with the intake officer / etc... about what needs to be done to get a court appointed attorney. They'd be able to help him from there.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you have already clicked "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

Customer:

So we just go to the police and turn him in. Or court

ScottyMacEsq :

It will be to the police. The court would only turn him over to the police.

Customer:

ok thanx