CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

I missed court due to doctors instructions to stay of my feet.

Customer Question

I missed court due to doctor's instructions to stay of my feet. My mother attended court and a fine was applied for failure to repair dwelling. Is the Failure to Repair dwellingor failure to appear a criminal charge for me and how can I get it dismissed or removed from my record.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.

Since your mother is not an attorney, she could not appear on your behalf. SInce you were ordered by the doctor to stay off your feet, you needed to contact the court and file a motion for a continuance and ask the court to re-set the court date, as a result of your condition. SInce you failed to appear without cause, the court imposed the appropriate fine. If the citation was issued by the city, it is likely it was a civil issue, not criminal and would not appear on your record. If you want, you can try and ask for a re-hearing on the matter and advise the court, with documentation, about the reason you could not there AND that you have defenses to this. Thank you and good luck. Please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer. Without clicking accept, I will not get any credit for my help.

Do you have all the documentation?