Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
18210975

i have a criminal law school question...if arthur and bob kidnapped

i have a criminal law school question...if arthur and bob kidnapped victoria...then bob left the house upon return arthur tells bob that he raped victoria and she committed suicide then is arthur guilty of felony murder? is bob an accessory or commit attempted murder? what are the elements of causation in this fact pattern...is victorias suicide an intervening cause?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

Bob is not guilty of felony murder. Bob is not an accessory to felony murder and did not commit attempted murder. The question of whether the rape is an intervening cause revolves around the issue of whether it was forseeable based on the kidnapping that the woman would be raped. In my opinion, the rape is not closely related enough to the kidnapping to be forseeable. In that case, the rape would be an intervening cause, breaking the chain of causation between the kidnapping and the suicide, making Bob not liable for the death.

Michael J, Esq. :

Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, don't forget to press ACCEPT if I was helpful, experts here don't get credit until you do. :) Thanks.

Customer:

yah so arthur is not guilty of felony murder. therefore its a legal impossibility that bob is an accessory right?

Michael J, Esq. :

Correct.

Customer:

thanks