Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

HOW DO I GET A FELONY OFF MY RECORD SO I CAN OWN GUNS AGAI

Customer Question

HOW DO I GET A FELONY OFF MY RECORD SO I CAN OWN GUNS AGAIN
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

It is very difficult to get your gun rights restored in California once you've lost them. In order for the federal government to lift their bar, which automatically happens with any state conviction, you would have to get your felony set aside, expunged or pardoned.

California does not offer a true expungement and the Feds don't recognize it as sufficient for the restoration of gun rights. So the only way you can get your gun rights restored in California is through a Certificate of Rehabilitation or a pardon from the governor.

You can find out more about these by clicking onthe links I have provided. They are both long shots, but they do not require a lawyer, so you might as well give it a try. You may find this site helpful.