Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Is it illegal to flip someone off in public

Customer Question

Is it illegal to flip someone off in public?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

That is very subjective. Civil suit aside, it can be argued that doing so is a public disturbance, which can be a citation or in some cases, a misdemeanor. However, it all depends on the elements surrounding the situation. Stopping traffic or flow of people on the sidewalk and causing a ruckus while flipping someone off may be criminally actionable.

Quickly flipping someone off is likely not.

Of course, this can be argued another way, since doing so is a sign for a vulgar utterance, and this can be construed as a public disturbance in itself.

Therefore, it is a highly subjective situation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault (in other words, I prefer to tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear, so if the news is not good, please do not shoot the messenger).

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at…

…if you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”