AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

can you be arrested for being naked on chatroulette

Customer Question

can you be arrested for being naked on chatroulette?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon!

There are some scenarios in which an arrest for conduct like that might take place.
For example, if someone got naked in front of a minor on chatroulette, that could post some legal problems.
However, the fact is that there are naked people all over the place on sites like that and very few of them have legal problems as a result.
Therefore, while conduct on there may occasionally rise to the criminal level, it's not something people are often arrested for.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i was naked and it switched me to another person. it was only a sec then it sent me a message saying they gave my ip adress to the fbi and police and i was going to be arrested. would they actually warn me if they were to do something?
Was it an official message from chatroulette or was it from a person?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it wasnt chatroulette exactly but similar. and im not sure it popped up in the text box and looked lagit. i wasnt intentionally looking for anyone. i had no choice but to be sent to the person who did it. it popped upalmost as soon as the cam came on. iv read a bunch of things on the subject and most say there is no problem and some say there is. have you heared of arrests before for males being naked on these sites?
I'm not familiar with specific instances of arrests related to such conduct.
However, people have been charged with crimes for conduct on the internet, particularly when children are involved.
However, if a child is involved, it's possible that someone might be charged with a crime.
If a child isn't involved, an individual wouldn't typically be charged with a crime for getting naked on an internet chat room, though there are ways someone could conceivably be charged in a child's absence, such as possible statutes related to lewd and lascivious conduct.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

there where no words exchanged and it wasnt done on purpose. is it still considered soliciting when i didnt try to do it at all? will it hold up? whats the punishment?

It's not soliciting. The actual charge, penalties, etc. is really going to depend on a number of things.
Based on the situation, it's not possible to predict that here. There's no telling who viewed you, what state (or even country) they were in, etc. There's just not enough information available to make that evaluation. I'm sure you understand.
The fact that you didn't know who was coming up wouldn't likely change things, though your attorney might try to make that argument. However, because you knew the nature of the program, the fact that you're getting a random person would not be a legal defense.

I know that's not what you want to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer.