How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116165
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a misdemeanor possession of marijuana on my record.

This answer was rated:

I have a misdemeanor possession of marijuana on my record. will i be able to live and work in aruba? this was from january of 2007 in washington dc and i served one year probation with weekly drug testing and performed 80 hours of community service
You can enter Aruba with this misdemeanor conviction on your record and you can seek a work permit there. You also may be able to qualify for an expungement or sealing of your record in DC for a misdemeanor conviction depending on the specific circumstances of your case and you need to have your case evaluated by a local expungement/sealing attorney to determine if your possession case would qualify (it would require at least 5 years passing since your completion of sentence).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What criteria do I need to expunge this from my record? It happened when I was 30 years old and I was told by an attorney that DC law only expunges if you are under 18 and it's your first offense. This was technically my second offense because I got a charge of possession in new york that wasn't a full misdemeanor because I didn't have 25 grams on me but it was the class below that.
This is why I said it depended on the circumstances of your specific case which had to be reviewed by a DC attorney, because DC's laws on sealing records or expunging them are specific to each case and if the local attorney reviewed your case and said your case did not qualify, then you cannot get it sealed or expunged. See: DC Expungement/Sealing of Records
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well as long as I can live and work in Aruba, I'm happy. Thank you so much Paul!!!!!!
Thank you.

Related Criminal Law Questions