CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

What are the consequences of fleeing a state on the East Coast

Customer Question

What are the consequences of fleeing a state on the East Coast after 3 non-violent, non-drug related felony indictments for the West Coast? I have no criminal convictions on record but I have a new job opportunity that I cannot pass up. It's my understanding that extradicting would be extremely unlikely due to the nature of the alleged crimes. But would a warrant show up on a background check with an employer? Could I still fly (not to the state of origin, of course)? I have no interest in ever returning to my original state so I am perfectly fine having to avoid it for the foreseeable future. Many lawyers won't answer these questions and simply recommend not fleeing. But I would much rather have a warrant hanging over my head then 3 felonies on my back, you know? (Conviction is likely, btw). I need help weighing the REAL and HONEST practical pros and cons of sticking around.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.
If you fail to appear in court, a warrant will be issued. If you are ever stopped by the police and they check your name, they will see this and take you into custody. You could be held in the state where you were arrested, until New York decides what to do with you and if they want to extradite you back, to answer to the charges. If you were to stick around and resolve this, you could be facing probation depending on the facts and they have the probation transferred to the state where this job is being offered. As you have already been told, fleeing is not proper and it is better to resolve this while minimizing the consequences.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
What other questions do you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

RE: But would a warrant show up on a background check with an employer? Could I still fly (not to the state of origin, of course)?

RE: I need help weighing the REAL and HONEST practical pros and cons of sticking around.

1) A warrant should not show up on a background check but the arrest for the crime may appear, so the employer would be able to see it. You could still fly within the United States.

2) There are not pros to leaving, expect you will have more time to do what you want but eventually this will have to be answered to. If you think that you will never get stopped by the police or placed in a situation where this would be an issue, you are wrong. If you are held, New York is going to want you. Plain and simple. They are not going to tell the jail to just release you and to never show your face in New York again. You could have to wait in jail until you are picked up and taken to New York which could take a month or two. If you were to just resolve this now, it would be over with and you would not have to watch over your shoulder all the time. If things start to work out for you, it could all end if you are taken into custody and sent back to new york.

Any other questions?