LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

a review of my income has the DOJ increasing my monthly restitution

a "review of my income" has the DOJ increasing my monthly restitution amount from $50 to $300. Not sure if they are considering my IRS installment agreement or other debts. Is it worth hiring an attorney or just live with their increase? Why do they seem so concerned if I have counsel?
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

The restitution rate is not based on your debts, or on any agreement you may have with a tax authority, but based on your gross income.

Unless you can show that the new level of restitution is so onerous that you can not continue to support yourself if it is demanded, then you will not likely succeed in challenging the increase---whether you have an attorney or not.

if it is something that you can afford, and still live, then you are probably just better off continuing to pay it.

I wish you and your wife the best in 2011.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,