JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

Hi, in Jan this year my ex and I got in an argument while taking

Customer Question

Hi, in Jan this year my ex and I got in an argument while taking the kids to the zoo. She called the police and I got a misdemeanor harassment on my record. This came with a no contact order. The day I got arrested, I called her from jail confused and got a no contact violation. That was Jan 15.

I did not contact her in any way and our divorce and custody was agreed upon and going to be settled. She starts calling me telling me that she wants to get the no contact order dropped and talk about reconciling our marriage etc. She leaves several voice mails that say as soon as I sign the papers, she'll drop the no contact order. So I get stupid and hopeful about fixing our marriage and working things out. I call her back. We also exchanged several emails. Almost all were about the parenting plan but some were about our relationship. This went on for about 2 weeks, when we both got upset over something and agreed to go back to no contact. A week after that, the day we were supposed to sign our divorce papers, she calls the police and reports all the contact. I can't afford a lawyer for this as the divorce lawyer has drained me. I have not been arrested because I did get my lawyer to call the prosecuting attorney and the police and talked them into not arresting me and sending me a letter to court when the charges are filed. I feel like I should go see the prosecutor and show him the content of the contacts, along with the voice mails where she initiated it. That would be admitting guilt but I am guilty. I would be hoping for a break on the charges and the punishment. Is this a bad idea? I would rather hit this before formal charges are brought up but I won't if it is not advised.
Thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

If you have not been charged with a crime, leave it alone and do nothing.

JB Umphrey :

You have nothing to gain by going to the prosecutor and everything to lose.

JB Umphrey :

Leave it alone.

JB Umphrey :

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select ACCEPT to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

JACUSTOMER-a1irp8t1- :

I am certain that I will be charged once the police send their report to the prosecutor though

JB Umphrey :

There is a time and a place for everything. What you are proposing to do is a very, very, very bad idea.

JACUSTOMER-a1irp8t1- :

OK, I'll hold on to everything I have and give it to the public defender once it gets in the system. The worry I have is that I am guilty so the only thing I can hope for is leniency based on the mundane and civil content of the contact.

JACUSTOMER-a1irp8t1- :

THanks

JB Umphrey :

You are most welcome. That's why we have juries.

JB Umphrey :