CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

My 74yr old mother went to dealership on her own with her paid

My 74yr old mother went to dealership on her own with her paid off vehicle and came back with a lease thats as much as her car was when she bought it brand new. The dealer didn't give her a penny for her trade in. What can I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.
First, you should look at the paper work and see if the value of the car she traded in was applied to the new car as a down payment or used to reduce the over all cost. Just because they did not pay her cash, does not mean that it was not applied. In addition, you will want to see what the car was worth, to make sure they did not take advantage of her. If it is determined that the took advantage of her because of her age and inability to make a decision, you could possible have a cause of action to get them to take the car back and give her back her old car. Just because she is 74, does not mean she does not know what she is doing. There is a difference between a bad deal and then being taken advantaged of. If she was prayed upon because of her age and it is clearly evident, you could try and go after the dealership.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she didn't buy a new car but leased one. Will it still be deducted from price on contract as if she were buying it outright?
If she leased a new car and the old car was paid off in full, the dealer may have applied the value of the that she traded in, to the down payment and other taxes which needed to be paid before she got the new car. When you lease a car, sometimes the dealer requires money down. This money could have been used in the form of a trade in, which is why I suggest you looking over all the paperwork to see what happened. They did not just steal the car from her or take it without giving her anything. If they did, it would be pretty clear cut that they took advantage of her because of her age and the contract could likely be voided. Thank you and good luck. If you have not already, please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer. After accepting, you can still ask follow up questions as needed.